Monday, May 17, 2010
I enjoyed sewing this dress more than the previous one because I omitted the ruffles on this one. Though I love the look of the ruffles I found them very time-consuming. I also omitted them because I was making the dress for an older child.
The most difficult part was trying to figure out how I would make the overdress (size 9-10) out of only one metre of the pink fabric - so I cut the side overdress pattern piece in half and made one half with the white patterned 'broderie anglais' fabric.
I cut an extra hem in brown for the underdress, seen below with ribbons on. I also put white binding on the hem of the pink to keep the white theme going!
I used a white cotton for most of the underdress (except the back which is brown) again because I wouldn't have had enough brown fabric for the 9-10 size.
I used French seams for finishing, except where I added the brown hem to the white. The hem of the underdress is also finished with binding (pink)
The fabric flower which I made for the front ...
The ribbon detail of the back ...
The back ...
and the front again ...
The only change I would make is to slightly shorten the straps by about .5 cm as they slip off a bit when worn.
My niece loved the dress, (and her mother too - always important!) and wore it to her cousins First Communion.
And thanks to Sew4my3 and Wendy via Flickr for the push to sew this. Pin It Now!