Thursday, July 8, 2010

Elaine





I mentioned my friend in these posts, first here, then here. More than a month ago she got good news that her treatment was working. Then 2 weeks ago our mutual friend rang to say she had been diagnosed with secondaries on her lung and was having trouble with breathing. I knew that sounded bad.



She died Saturday July 3rd, only 42.



I hadn't seen her in two years, last spoke to her about a year ago, sent some texts and an odd card, and was away for her funeral. It all seems so unreal, and seems like I haven't said goodbye to her, seems like she couldn't possibly be gone.



She was an amazing person, always concerned for others - the careers of junior colleagues, the lives of people with disabilities - with a great ability to think on her feet, and always know the right thing to do.



Some things I'm grateful for:


  • when she was starting her academic career in 2004 , I added her name to an article I had written and it became her first publication

  • all the dark chocolate she supplied me with when I returned to work after maternity leave - and was struggling ( she had bought a stash, but realised that it was cooking chocolate, so went and bought some more).

  • the hug I gave her when she returned to work after a devastating incident when she had tried to resusitate an toddler

  • how she helped me organise my time so I could do some work from home

I hope I will remember many more.


‘Please don’t cry for me
My time on earth is over
But please smile with me as we were honoured to have shared this time together’

Pin It Now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment