Work on my 'Minoru' is ongoing, but slow because really, I realised that a non-waterproof raincoat would be ridiculous for the weather we have here. What was I thinking! So I've been making it waterproof which involves slightly changing the pattern and looking for waterproofing products which needs another post.
Meanwhile I just HAD to sew something quick, a dress for my daughter. The jersey dots are from Hilco (I think), bought from Dotsnstripes a while ago, and the cotton (voile) floral I bought locally - both sewn up using a Japanese Pattern.
This Japanese pattern book is unusual because it is in French, which I got hold of through Amazon. I studied French in school so I can now understand some of the instructions at least. The diagrams are still the same as the Japanese vesions though, incredibly clear. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before these books will be translated into English and available in Europe and Penguin Australia has already some English translations . I used pattern 'E'.
My daughter picked the ribbon (from Farbenmix) an interesting choice for my 5 year old because some other ribbons that matched, included flowers and birds and dogs! I added ribbon to the hem to give some weight to the voile. The selvedge is showing just below the ribbon.
The skirt is 4 metres in width (I think the pattern calls for 2 metres) and pleated which means lots and lots of twirl.
This 'Butterfly' dress is also from a Japanese Pattern book, a pattern I have sewn a few times before. I made this last October, but didn't blog. The butterfly and dots fabric are Robert Kaufman cord. The green top is an Ottobre pattern and Patty Young jersey fabric.
I have gathered quite a collection of Japanese sewing books so at least I feel I can justify them if they're being used!
Pin It Now!