Monday, March 28, 2016

A 'Drapey' Japanese Bubble Dress

When I read about Japanese Pattern Sewalongs there is often a related increase in my sewing, and it was no different when Celina from petitapetitfamily.com and Mie from sewinglikemad.com wrote about their year long sewjapan series back in January.

This is the Japanese pattern book I chose as the dress on the cover is one of my favourites and sewn (& blogged) many times - a sweet version in ladybird corduroy & a pair of bubble dresses for twins.
This time I chose a drapey, pre-pleated fabric from my local fabric shop, though I had doubts if it would hold the 'bubble' effect of the fabric.

When it was sewn up, the fabric gave an a-line shape to the dress. My daughter who had wanted a more fitted dress was happier with this.
This bubble dress is easy to sew, and the Japanese instructions are easy to follow because of the detailed diagrams. My one issue with this pattern is the joining of the lining and the outer fabric which leaves an exposed seam.
As usual, I prefer a clean finish with all seams hidden, something that is particularly important for children's clothes.
For this version I cut the back pattern piece in two, rather than placing it on the fabric fold. (I listed the sewing instruction steps in this post). This allows the dress hem to be pulled out through the back seam and sewn so that it is hidden when the dress is finished . I then sewed an exposed zip and attached the lining at the same time to finish the dress.
The finish is so clean that the dress could almost be worn inside out.
The 'bubble' effect allows for the imagination of an active 9 year old!
We felt the solid colour of the fabric needed something else, so settled on adding ribbons to one of the shoulder seams. We decided that this brown stitched ribbon from janemeans.com would work. These can be left untied or tied in bows. Interestingly, after this was sewn, Burdastyle included a girls dress pattern in the March magazine which had wide ribbon on both shoulders!

Pin It Now!  

6 comments:

  1. I adore this dress.
    So sophisticated but still lots of fun and very wearable.

    As always, your inside finishes are as neat and tidy as the out.
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, it's such a great dress pattern.
      And thanks for the lovely compliment, I still haven lost the fanaticism for neat & hidden seams ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such a fun fabric for this style! I have made this too a few years back (one of the very first Japanese patterns I made actually) and my daughter absolutely adored it. I totally agree with you on the finish. In fact I didn't even noticed that they recommended that method, ha. I 'bag sewed' it just like you. You don't have to change anything to the pattern to do so though. I just left a little hole open in the side seam of the lining and turned the dress out through that. Easy peasy :-) Thank you for linking up to Sew Japan with Mie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mie, thanks for dropping by and having a look :-) My brain cells nearly combusted when I first sewed the pattern to ensure all the seams would be on the inside, but you're right, the bagging is straightforward- at least now that I have more experience!! I think the reason I originally split the back pattern piece was to get an easier clean finish on the shoulder seams. Great series, I need to plan some more Japanese sewing :-)

      Delete
  3. wow !!! it really beautiful so much.i like your good idea Thanks for the inspiration!

    หนังสารคดี

    ReplyDelete