I made this dress from scraps of fabric as I mentioned in the last post. When my daughter saw me putting the fabrics together, she asked who it was for. I said I could make it for her if she liked, so she was happy with that. The fabric has a lovely sheen to it, so I think that's why she likes it (despite no pink!).
The pattern is the Playdate Dress from Oliver+S, but I made some changes to the construction of it.
I lined it fully, except for the sleeves and that meant I had to put in the yoke differently. Instead of sewing the yoke seperately as in the instructions, I attached it to the front first and then the back, each with lining. Then I joined the back and front. The neck (and armholes) was finished with bias binding which I handstitched to the lining at the neckline.
I omitted the buttons on the front yoke to show off the paisely pattern in the Sandi Henderson fabric, and also because I didn't have any matching buttons in my stash.
Lots of wrinkles on the lining as I couldn't iron the cotton on a hot setting in case I would damage the outer fabric.
I was very pleased with how this turned out. I didn't follow the instructions directly, but the construction of the yoke is explained very clearly. I had read about some problems fitting the head through the yoke, so I made the back opening almost the same length as the yoke.
This dress got lots of compliments, maybe because it was such a change from the crazy prints I usually sew!Pin It Now!