There's still wedding related sewing going on - these are dresses for my SIL-to-be's nieces. The pattern is from a Japanese Pattern Book that I've used a few times before
I was encouraged to sew these again by the Balloon Dress Sew-a-long on the Japanese Sewing Books blog (written by Yifarn and a 'must-read' for anyone interested in Japanese patterns).
The Sew-a-long is very helpful, but I made a major change to the pattern to ensure the hem seam would be hidden.
I will try to keep it short!!
- Cut the outer and lining back pattern pieces as 2 pieces and include a seam allowance where the fold line is.
- Sew the outer fabric at the shoulders. Sew the lining fabric at the shoulders.
- Put the lining and outer fabric right sides together and sew at the armholes and at the neckline (stop just at the seam allowance at the back neckline.
- Turn the dress right side out by pushing the right and left back pieces including lining through their corresponding shoulders.
- Sew the side seams of the outer and lining fabric on both sides, matching seams.
- Sew the centre back seams (leaving an opening for turning) just as far as the back opening. Turn the seam allowances at the neckline to the inside and press seams flat on lining and outer fabric.
- For the button loop, one method is to Insert and pin a loop of thin elastic into one side of the neckline from the outside.
- Topstitch the neckline, including the back neckline opening, Topstitch the armholes also.
- Attach pockets as per pattern.
- Gather the outer dress hem.
- To sew the hem, pin only about 2 inches/5cm of the back seams of the lining and outer fabric right sides together.
- Turn the dress inside out through the opening in the back lining seam, keeping the pins in place. Continue pinning the hems together (the dress outer and lining will almost form a loop. Sew the lining and outer hem together.
- When the hem is sewn, turn the dress right side out through the back opening, and hand sew the opening.
- Ta daaaa!!!! Hopefully!
Edited to add: Linked to Justine's Sew & Tell Saturday Pin It Now!