Monday, June 22, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! . . . . . Re-cut, Re-make, Re-sew!

This is an old 'Tommy' shirt belonging to my husband, which he got from his brother.

When he was about to throw it out I asked him to pull off the buttons for me. While he was doing that, it struck me that the material could be used.

I unpicked the seams to make it flat, and cut the waistcoat pieces from the sleeves ( the lining is made from cotton I had already). The pattern is from Ottobre 3/2009, no.20. It involves a lot of turning inside out and outside in which can get a bit confusing, but I love the result - it just needs buttons.

The dress is from a Japanese pattern I made already from the book Favourite Dresses dress B, a lovely easy pattern. The pattern pieces were cut from the back and the front of the shirt. I managed to get enought bias pieces from the scraps. The little flower appliques had to be designed as one was needed to cover a hole in the shirt.

The big question . . . . how safe are the rest of his shirts (cue - Jaws music....)!

Pin It Now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment